Friday, February 22, 2008

Donut Downfall

I was so excited when I heard that Dunkin Donuts was going to invade Indiana by opening more than 80 stores (or so I was told). But that was in September, a few months before our declared year of not spending. But, alas, the stores started opening and I fell prey to my childhood sweets. Heidi doesn't really get it, but Grandma used to come over from Gary and always brought us donuts when I was growing up. My favorite was the white puffy one with the little kiss of white-puffy stuff on top. Or the strawberry iced one. And of course, anything with sprinkles. A few weeks ago we rationalized going to the new store in Carmel. It was a lot more trendy than I remember. But I guess that is what happens when things are new. The one I remember was the type where older overweight guys would go eat and drink stale coffee and smoke (cause you could do that in store then.) This looked more like pink and orange vomited over a Starbucks.

We have gotten donuts and forsaken our 'no spending' rules a few times. It has gotten really bad because Heidi now makes weekly trips to IUPUI for her writing class. Downtown has something worse: Long's Bakery. It isn't far from IUPUI, so it is like temptation on a corner.

As of today, I think I decided to stop flogging myself over the whole donut thing. I do need to get it under control a bit more - but it isn't a sin or anything ( at least I don't think it is.) Plus, I'm already preparing to forsake the no-spending when we go up to Grand Rapids (Hudsonville) to visit Heidi's grandparents. We will be making our stop at Russ' for lunch, and of course, Onion Rings. Unfortunately, I don't think we will be able to visit Rob this trip... but hopefully again soon.

The snow is falling and I think it is now time for me to pretend like I know what I'm doing on facebook.

Regards!
D

1 comment:

Stephanie B said...

Ah, I have found you two in the Blogspot world. It was great to see you on Saturday night. I appreciate your blog posts and thoughts about not spending, etc. I applaud you for putting feet to your ideals. Keep going! See you on Thursday, and I hope you are having a great week!